Thursday, April 23, 2009

Anniversary--looking back


Greg and I recently celebrated year 5 year wedding anniversary. Time has really flown by. Of course being the sentimental person I am I had to pull out ALL the pictures, videos, cards etc and just think back on all of our special times together.




Greg and I were married on April 2, 2004 in Baton Rouge, LA at Istrouma Baptist Church. Our original wedding date was supposed to be that summer, but to our surprise Greg got orders to head to Iraq for 18 months. We decided to move our wedding up a bit and get married before he left. We had two weeks. We called the church and then had the next Friday open in the chapel so we took it, my family flew in and Greg's family drove up. We also had several of our closest friends that were able to come such short notice. My mom set up a nice dinner at Juban's for the reception dinner. My wedding gown had not come in so my Mom and I found a gorgeous white suit I could wear instead, Greg wore his dress greens. There was no time for musicians, registries, and all the other stuff that goes in to a wedding. There were no photographers or videographers available so we just asked family and friends to preserve our memories for us! All that mattered was that we were in love, Greg was about to leave and we wanted to be joined as husband and wife. The simplicity of it all was perfect, the true meaning of marriage was witnessed that day without all the fluff. Boy, this brings me to tears even thinking about it all. The ceremony was PERFECT! We were so in love and all I really remember was looking at Greg and realizing how lucky I was to be marrying such an amazing man. But, in the back of mind I was so terrified that he may not come home from Iraq. I definitely didn't make it down the aisle without tears, and lots of them. Our church pastor, Brother Stuart married us and he made it very special (he later did our renewal ceremony and is now at the church we attend in Houston).


Greg and I at the LSU War Memorial, this is where he proposed.




We were able to go on a honeymoon, we went on a cruise to Jamaica, Cayman Islands and Mexico. It was bitter-sweet. It was WONDERFUL to be husband and wife, but it was so sad knowing that Greg would be leaving me for 18 months and neither of us knew what the future held. It was all up to God. We are both SO thankful for wonderful friends and family who helped us through the tough times of his deployment.



(Greg is on the far left)

The day after Greg got in country (Iraq) my wedding dress came in, I just put the box in the closet and knew I would wear that beautiful gown one day. Greg and I decided to have a renewal ceremony when he returned so we could have the wedding that every little girl dreams of. I had plenty of time to plan and that is one way I passed the time. After he safety retuned in October of 2005 we continued planning our renewal ceremony. Our ceremony was on April 1, 2006 almost 2 years after our wedding ceremony. We were lucky enough to have everything we didn't have the first time: ALL of our family, new friends, old friends, I wore my wedding gown, Greg wore his dress blues, bridesmaids, groomsmen, a rehearsal dinner, my FAVORITE photographer from Houston, a videographer, showers, a HUGE cake, a real reception, and most importantly TIME together! It was wonderful, it was like a dream and I loved every second! Brother Stuart did our ceremony and he helped us to add some special touches to our ceremony, we used 3 colored ribbons to represent God, Greg and I and how you need all three for a healthy marriage, a unity candle, two soloists we had a family prayer at the end, and of course we had the Sabre Arches which were amazing and looked really great in our pictures!! It was like a fairytale. We went on a two week honeymoon and enjoyed every second together. We really enjoyed this honeymoon because we knew that Greg was home and we didn't have to rush our time together. We went on a week long cruise to St. Thomas, St. Marteen, and San Juan and then spent a week in Disney World, it was wonderful (and productive, Kailey was born 9 months later:))




one of my wedding showers



As I look back I think about just how hard it was when Greg was deployed. It really puts things in perspective. I guess that is why I don't think it is a big deal if he has to work a little late or if he has to travel a week or two for work. At least he comes home to me everynight and when he is away I am not worried if his camp is going to be attacked by insurgents. I really, really love my husband and I Thank God EVERY SINGLE DAY that he put Greg in my life. I never thought I would be an army wife, but I really think Greg's time away has helped us to keep in perspective what is really important and what is trivial.
Rehearsal dinner at Ralph and Kacoos


Me, Raine and Carolyn (SIL's)

Greg and the bridesmaids


one of my bridal pics

me and the groomsmen

My Brothers and Me!

SMOOCH!!!






For our 5 year anniversary we took a weekend trip, spent lots of alone time together and just enjoyed one anothers company. It was just nice to have some time one on one while my Mom watched Kailey. We are planning a big trip for after B2 arrives. I can't wait to see what the future holds, I know whatever it is, it will be great as long as Greg is by my side.



I love you Honey!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment